The collection of the Museum and Study Centre of the Greek Theatre includes posters, programs, photographs, costumes and personal items of historic plays and performances and famous actors and actresses of the Greek theatre.
The museum is housed temporarily in the basement of the Cultural Center of the Municipality of Athens. The building is one of the oldest of Athens. It was built by the famous Danish architect Ch. Hansen in 1842 in neoclassical style. Initially it was used as a Community Hospital. In 1971 it was decided that the building should be restores in its initial state and should be preserved as one of the historic buildings of Athens. Therefore, several buildings that had been added to the initial architectural plan were demolished and the garden was reformed in order to house the Cultural Center.
The museum was founded in 1938 by the “Greek Play writers’ Society”. Yannis Sideris, a historian of Greek theatre, mamaged to collect and organize photographs, archives and various mementos of the history of Greek Theatre. Beside the museum, a library that contains an extensive archive with negatives, photographs and audiovisual material was created and now is open to students and researchers of the field.